Tuesday, July 14, 2009

“Miracles are Rare.”

“Miracles don’t happen everyday or they would be called ‘everydays’ instead of miracles.”
The problem here starts with word usage and the definition of that word. “Miracle” comes through French from the Latin “miraculum", which literally means, a wonder or wonderful thing, but Daniel Webster (Webster’s 1828) went on to define, “in theology, an event or effect contrary to the established constitution and course of things, or a deviation from the known laws of nature, a supernatural event.”

Therefore, when we think of “miracles” it’s easy to think that God wouldn’t “violate” his own laws except for very special occasions. (It’s curious that the same people who used to teach that miracles don’t happen anymore—dispensationalists, now admit that they do happen but only rarely and usually only to pastors. Nevertheless, that is some progress!)

However, when we look at the literal Greek translation, we find different words, “powerful deeds”. Strange isn’t it, to translate from Greek to Latin to French to English instead of directly from Greek to English?

Does the Lord God still do powerful deeds through and around his people today? Absolutely! Reports of healings, rescue from danger and even raising of the dead come in regularly from many parts of the globe. My husband and I have experienced and/or witnessed quite a few of these powerful deeds ourselves. Just open your eyes and believe the power of the Lord!

I tell you the truth; anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. John 14:12-14

No comments: